Tuesday, September 10, 2019

(The New) d12 Supers

So, over 20 years ago, I wrote a fantasy game called Runebearer which became my game of choice for years. For me and my group, it was a great game for the grim and gritty fantasy that we often played. For super heroic adventure, we stuck to Champions. Even though I had grown to have some serious issues with Champions over the years, I couldn't see replacing it. In my mind, supers games just had too many power combinations and fiddly bits to try to create something. I had adapted Runebearer to western, sci-fi, and pulp settings, but I would never write a supers game.

Until I did... I adapted Runebearer to a super hero setting. But man, it was clunky. There were tons of stats and skills and talents and modifiers and special cases. It was fun (I personally enjoy fiddly games, so take that with a grain of salt), but it was a mess.

I am in the process of rewriting Runebearer to streamline it and cut out unneeded complexity, and along with that, came the task of reimagining the super hero game. It is a ton of work, but I am at a playable state, and wanted to get it "out there". It's not 100% finished, and certainly isn't perfect, but it is getting there.

Here is the link to the docs, please enjoy them.


No comments:

Post a Comment